INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY
4 Aug 2017 | PI Sales
WHAT’S INTERNATIONAL BEER DAY?
International Beer Day is a global celebration of beer, taking place in pubs, breweries, and backyards all over the world. It’s a day for beer lovers everywhere to raise a toast to the brewers and bartenders and rejoice in the greatness of beer.
Originally started in Santa Cruz, California, International Beer Day quickly expanded not only in scope, but in size as well, quickly gaining an international recognition. It is currently being celebrated in 207 cities, 50 countries and on 6 continents.
BEER BREWING: FROM TRADITION TO TREND
Beer was part of the culture for the old Vikings and the Catholic Church embraced this tradition before the Protestant Reformation brought about a soberer attitude to drink and abolitionist movements took over. With the industrial age mass production ensued, but today new generations are revitalizing old beer brewing traditions as part of a broader trend towards local food production.
HOW TO CELEBRATE IT?
- Drink good beer with good friends. Drinking beer may be the most important part of celebrating International Beer Day, and obviously beer goes best with a little conversation. So, drag friends out to an IBD celebration or invite them to your home!
- Find your nearest IBD celebration. There may be International Beer Day events right around the corner. Check your local pubs!
- Give the gift of beer. It’s a well-known fact that beer tastes better when someone else buys it for you, so it’s a tradition on International Beer Day to buy beer for your friends. When you present the beer, don’t forget to say the traditional words of beer-giving: “I bring you the gift of beer!”
- Enjoy beers from other cultures. It’s a big beer world out there full of wondrous new flavors. Be adventurous, try something new on International Beer Day!
- Thank your brewer, thank your bartender. Thousands of men and women around the world have devoted their lives to providing us with the enormous variety of beers and on International Beer Day it’s important to let these people know that we appreciate them. Write a note, leave a tip, make a call, or just say thanks, - make sure your brewers and bartenders know that you appreciate them.
A FEW FACTS ABOUT BEER
On International Beer Day impress your friends with your never-ending knowledge of all things beer:
- Ancient Egyptians built the pyramids while consuming a healthy amount of beer. About 4 liters a day, to be exact.
- Ancient Babylonians took the seriousness of brewing to a whole new level. If a bad batch was made the brewer was drowned in it.
- Vikings believed that a giant goat resided in Valhalla whose udders were filled with an unlimited supply of beer.
- The Czech Republic is the beer drinking capital of the world. Each Czech drinks an average of 40 gallons a year.
- Beer does a body good! It contains a high level of silicon which increases the calcium deposits and minerals for healthy bone tissue.