Noisettes of Roe Deer, Caramelised Pear & Cranberry, Hasselback Potatoes
An alternative Christmas dinner – Roe deer venison with fruits of the season and a rich game reduction.
Ingredients for 6
- 800g loin of Roe deer (cut into 12 noisettes)
- 2 pears (quartered, fanned, sugared and baked)
- 100g frozen cranberries (caramelised with 1 tbsp sugar)
- The game jus:
- 1 glass red wine
- A little port if you have it
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- Ground black pepper and a pinch of mixed spice
First prepare your sauce, by mixing all our suggested ingredients in a pan and allowing to simmer for at least half an hour. Cook the venison medallion on a hot ribbed griddle pan then finish it in the oven. Serve with pear and cranberry on each portion, your game reduction and some oven baked hasselback potatoes.